Friday 22 June 2007

My Gear (Lack of)

It has become apparent very quickly that my current lack of gear is going to cause me more headaches than I'm prepared to put up with (I refer to my lack of adjustable Strobes).



Just recently I aquired a Canon EOS 400d Kit from Jessops. I love everything about the kit with exception to the really naff Jessops 300AFDC Strobe. It has no Manual capability at all, and no Sync socket.

In an attempt to bolster the kit I purchased a PC Sync Adaptor kit (Including Cable), however this left me with only one option to adjust the Strobe power which was the distance from the subject. As mentioned by David in Strobist 101, this was going to be very frustrating, and I have to admit I have been tearing my Hair out ever since.

This has left me no option but to dig into the very depths of my pockets to aquire at least one new strobe. My starting point was in town this morning visiting all the local Pawn shops and "Cash Converters". I came accross a Nikon SB-25 which was listed at #89.00, however after some hard bargaining, I managed to get a deal at #45.00, which I thought was a good price for what appears to be a well looked after Strobe.

So, I'm really excited about my new Strobe, and I feel like part of the Strobist movement already (Yay!), but I still need to get a stand and possibly some Ebay triggers(Once they verify my account). I do believe with my current setup that I can at least make a start on Lighting 102: Unit 1.1 - Position (Angle).

My next post will show my results from the lesson :-)

4 comments:

Aidan said...

I read somewhere that covering up half of the lens at the front of the flash gives you 1/2 power, three quarters gives you 1/4 however and so forth - perhaps this could be of help?

I don't know what the quality of light would be like though. I might try this actually.

Aidan said...

Just tried this. Not worth it. Maybe Neutral Density gel filters would work.

Definitely don't try with black card - it burns and makes a nasty smell!

Anvilator said...

Yea, I tried the "cover up part of the flash" technique, and found it to be even more frustrating than moving the location of the Strobe. I guess I'm just going to have to keep an eye out for more SB-24/25/26's in the bargain shops and build my set as I go.

Thanks for the suggestion though Aidan.

Daisy said...

Hi,

this is a very interesting chat.


I just begin to take photo, could you help me to find adequate material.

I have a jessops voucher code but I don't know what kind of article take.

I give you the link, if you want to help me.

http://www.shoocare.co.uk/jessops-catalog-366.html